Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thug Lovin-- Book Review




Thug Lovin --Wahida Clark


Comes out Aug 10th -- Retails $14.99

Tasha and Trae, the hood's favorite couple, are still together following the events of Thug Matrimony. Even with their relocation to sunny Los Angeles, the drama of New York cannot be escaped. From running a nightclub to dealing with models, shady lawyers, big money, new kinds of temptations, seductions, and drugs-not to mention new love interests-can this infamous couple weather all the storms and keep it together? (goodreads.com)

I stepped out of my comfort zone to read this book. I understood that Tasha and Trae were from the hood. This is my first time reading this author and it was tough to read in the beginning with how the characters talked/written. When I finished the book…I realized that there reading group questions about the characters and their actions. That was good to think about the book. This book displayed the black culture with language. I found the sex scenes more graphic than I wanted to read, but that goes to characters and how they talk.

I liked that it was married couple trying to make a fresh start in California. There was cheating / hooking up whether for business or pleasure. Tasha and Trae have 3 kids and in some ways it made the situation realistic but the kids were always being family, nanny or friends. Tasha & Trae to me didn’t seem like parents…they were all about taking care of ME. I found that there a lot of drug use within the novel and also mention of abuse in relationship.

Usually I’m all for recommending books to my friends. This book put the every black people and culture in a negative light. I give this book 2/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog to read my review of Dutch by Teri Woods. This sounds a lot like Dutch, except there was a lot of murder in the one I read. Thanks for (not) recommending this book, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks