Thursday, October 22, 2009

Roses-- Book Review

Spanning the 20th century, the story of Roses takes place in a small East Texas town against the backdrop of the powerful timber and cotton industries, industries controlled by the scions of the town's founding families. Cotton tycoon Mary Toliver and timber magnate Percy Warwick should have married but unwisely did not, and now must deal with the deceit, secrets, and tragedies of their choice and the loss of what might have been--not just for themselves but for their children, and children's children. With expert, unabashed, big-canvas storytelling, Roses covers a hundred years, three generations of Texans and the explosive combination of passion for work and longing for love. (Goodreads.com)

I was excited to read this book because of the name. I loved the Cover and what it means during the book and the history.

This story reminded me of The Thorn Birds ...just because of the long time frame.

I loved that English Roses of White and Red were used through out this story but in Texas.

This story is told in 4 parts and different points of view of Percy, Mary, Rachel, Matt, Ollie and Wyatt. I loved that characters will able to tell the past of what happened and tell their story.

Mary is a strong female character who knows what she loves and will do all that she can to keep it.

I loved the romance through out the book. I felt transported to location of the story.

I loved that there were Family Secrets, Family Curse, Lies, Money, Trust Issues, Roses, sacrifice , and forgiveness.

There was a note by the editor to take your time reading this book and enjoy it. I did just that with this book.

I can always tell a good book , if I stay late reading and I did just that with this book. I was even crying at the end of the book. I will gladly share this book with Friends and Family. Its that Good.

This book comes out January 6, 2010 and $24.99

5/5 -- This book is that Great

Thanks to Grand Central for the book to read . This is my Honest review. I got an ARC of the book.

disclaimer: I do not receive compensation for any of my reviews. I do however, receive books for free to read and post HONEST reviews, positive and negative. The acceptance of a book does not guarantee a positive review, it just guarantees a review.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this review. I was curious about it. I have the chance to get an ARC of it and I didn't know if I could bust through something so big and meaty right now.

    Maybe I'll change my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, sounds interesting! I may just try it out when it comes out - given I have the time to read...

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks