Monday, April 29, 2013

Blog Confession -- Google reader & Goodreads

~Amazon buys Goodreads (Find the announcement here) DO you think this is a good thing for readers – or is Amazon the devil? Will this move effect you? Will you be leaving Goodreads?

~ The death of Google Reader As Google continues to phase out it’s less popular products, bloggers were scrambling to find a new reader platform to follow their favorite blogs. What have you switched to for a reader?

The big fear though is the loss of Google Friends Connect. How are you preparing if indeed GFC is discontinued? How many subscriber options are too many to offer your followers? What ones are the most popular on your blog?

I am mixed on the amazon /goodreads buyout. I only use it track all the books I read. But I buy books from amazon too. I don't want my reviews from goodreads , to go to amazon. There are some reviews I put on amazon , where as on Goodreads I don't do full reviews. 

I have feeling the GFC will going away soon too. We now have feedly to help keep track of the blog posts. That's seems to be the most popular way that they follow me too. i haven't really thought about bloglovin yet. 

It does seem that Big brother is watching our moves either google or amazon/goodreads. It almost like my Safeway emails of products I do buy or I can use coupons. 

What are your thoughts on Goodreads or Google Friend Connect ??

Thanks Pam & Karen for this topic ...I love being honest with you'll. 

8 comments:

  1. I guess I'm curious to see how Amazon will effect GR. I didn't realize that, about the reviews. Sometimes I don't like to post my reviews in both places. I guess I'll have to see. I don't GFC to go away, I really like it. However, I don't really follow using Google Reader if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the things I'm worried about with Amazon/Goodreads. I don't' want them to *own* my reviews. I don't' review on Amazon anymore because of that.

    And I don't want them to ask me if I want to post at both or recommend books on Amazon that I mentioned on GR. It feels stalkerish lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm another reader who only uses Goodreads to track my books, but still hoping that Amazon leaves well enough alone. I want them to keep the two sites separate.

    I really hope that GFC doesn't disappear too, but you're probably right and that's the next thing on the chopping block. All I know is that I don't like Google+, but haven't researched other options yet.

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like Amazon is probably going to mostly leave Goodreads alone, maybe just some minor tweaks and stuff. The only thing that would get me to stop using Goodreads is if they connected the reviews. My "reviews" on Goodreads are often just short thoughts about what I thought about the book right after I finish and I sure don't want those going to Amazon!

    Google is really pushing G+ and I hate it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wonder about how Amazon will actually affect GR. I don't think it will be too horrible, but you already know my thoughts about the death of GFC ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my BBC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I'm in denial, but I don't think GFC will go away. It almost sounds like someone began to spread the news purely out of fear (since the death of Google Reader was announced), or even because that person saw her/his opportunity for recommending Bloglovin' or the likes! LOL
    On the other hand, Google is really trying to shove G+ down our throats...so - maybe - it can indeed be seen as the (forced) alternative to GFC, as Kimberly seems to imply in her comment? I do hope not.
    Yes, I'm in denial ;D.

    And sorry for deleting a comment - as usual, I only spotted a mistake after posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *brings bananas*
    Amazon will own reviews not just you know... censor them? *cries*

    Google is trying to shove us Google +... Am I happy? No. But I'd probably prefer it to Bloglovin'. Not sure if I want either. If I'm happy & most are happy it's all fair! XD I wouldn't personally think Feedly organized this with Google- I mean Bloglovin' employed people have even suggested I get Bloglovin'! Feedly? They aren't so... pushy.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks