Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Memory Thief-- Book Review


"Burning down Black Snack trailer was easy. The hard thing was walking away, when what I wanted most was to watch it die.."


When Angel sets fire to her childhood home, it isn't the end--its the beginning.Left with nothing but a few memories in her pocket, Angel escapes into the fields of tobacco, the only place she has felt safe.Hidden by those green-gold leaves, she sets her eyes on the moutains and believes someone waits for her there. Angel will do whatever she has to do until she finds it. She longs to empty her pockets, hand over the answers to what became of her, and whisper This is my story ( Back of the book)


There are 2 main point of views of Hannah and Angel.

I loved the cover of this book. This is my first time reading this author.



Hannah-- Holy Roller parents, gets job at steam clammers for the summer, falls in love with Sam, becomes an artist, marries someone



Angel-- Farm helper, has a rough life of alcohol, abuse and is a thief.

Bethie- Sister to Hannah



This is a story of a Mother and daughter . This book was rich in color descriptions with blue, green, and gold overtones. Its a beautiful story and I cried and this book taught me not to read ahead because I thought one thing and was totally blindslided by a different aspect of the story. I was rooting for both Hannah and Angel.



Mothers aren't always nice and Families aren't so perfect. There are secrets, babies, love, and redemption.

There is a reading group guide in this book and there are some great questions.

Book Review= 4

http://www.rachelkeener.com/

This book comes out march 12,2010 and thanks to Center Street for this book and this is my Honest review.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds interesting. There seems to be a lot of books lately where there are mother-daughter issues. Or is it just me?

    Great review!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it seems to the case with some of the books so far. Weird huh.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks