Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Author Behaving Badly

I have been mulling over this for some time. I seem to get  author going crazy in the summer time and they disagree with me over silly stuff. Last year it was the number of stars on Goodreads.

Say for example you review their book , and its Meh book to you. Then you email back and forth with the author and tell them that one of their books was a DNF. So you as a common courtesy decide not to post that review on the blog, but still keep the review up on another book thought place. The author leaves a comment on your review and mentions that I got a bad copy.  But you got a bad copy and there wasn't any mention of a bad copy going around on all the emails sent.

Before you post the review , you are noticing the interaction on Twitter and self promotion of their books but too much with their fans. Also since you have reviewed the books, you are now on an email list and get emails all the time about the books and thinks that now she has an available promotion team since you reviewed the books.

I am not naming the author but I have been made aware.

What would you do and be professional ??
Do you emails from authors once you have reviewed their books ?
Are these more self published authors or Big Book publishers ??
What do you want too see from authors ??
Do you follow authors on Goodreads ???
What about authors who give their books 5 stars ??
Anything else on your mind regarding this topic 

4 comments:

  1. Great questions Julie!

    I remember way back when I started blogging, then tweeting, I was so excited to see how approachable authors were. I have since taken a step back. What if I am asked to review their book and think it's meh, getting close to them makes that meh review hard to write (yep, it's happened).

    I avoid self-pub as I've tried a few and nothing has wowed me, but I can see the need on their end to do the publicity for the book and therefore be more proactive in approaching bloggers themselves. I know authors have feelings, but they also need to know that we don't all like the same things.

    As for giving 5 star ratings on their own books, I don't mind because they must love it to get it out there...and I also look to see where the ratings come from :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to say that I had a run in with an author that just plain pissed me off. She sent me a review request and I very kindly denied because I thought it would be unfair for me to accept due to my large reading pile. Her original email stated that she liked what she saw in my reviews so she would like me to review her book but after denying her request, my very next review she insults my review.

    A week an a half later she compliments on a review and the day after that she requests me to review her book. Grrrr!!!

    I think another hard part is when I have grown a relationship over time with an Indie that is very much in social media world before their book is released. And then their book ends up being a book that I know from the first chapter I will not like. But I still push on because I really want to like their book. But then stop midway because I don't want to give them a bad review and you know they have all eyes on you waiting for that review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mel...I have stepped back from self-published books as well. But I could give you a list of FABULOUS self published books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you have experienced negative interactions. So far my experience has been great. Even with authors that the rating with review wasn't positive.

    I try emailing authors when I love the book just because I am so excited and thrilled, most of the time they respond.

    I have realised I do not enjoy authors blogs, sites as much or I love the site but not their books, weird.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks