Monday, February 6, 2012

Blogging Confession #3--Deadlines

Deadlines for reviewing and blogging. Do you set them? How do you keep them? What do you do if you can't meet a deadline?


Well if it for a tour book and my day scheduled I will read the book and review it in a timely manner. I usually schedule my posts so I can read and enjoy the book. Having it scheduled makes it more relaxing for me knowing that I do have something coming , but I still have dates that need to filled or not. I can be reading something during those times. 


I like to keep the book reviews close to the date when it comes out, and I do my job to link it back to the publisher. But even if the book is already out I make sure to send the link back to them. I like to have a schedule of things...because without a schedule there can be Chaos, speaking as a mom too. I like to have a schedule with this too. Granted at times it feels like a job. 


I have all my reviews in a pile and order of when they come out and try to get though that pile. 


I had to review a book for a tour and on a certain day . I couldn't get into it or make a connection with any of the characters. So I say that I did read up to a certain point but had to stop and I gave my reasons. I also mentioned that it might be me and that they might enjoy it. 


I have been told with publishers to have the book review close to when the book comes out. So I try to apply that to books that I receive from publishers, but if its for a tour book..then I will review it ASAP. Yes I try to keep my deadlines when i do sign up for something. 


Thanks Karen and Tiger for asking those hard questions 



14 comments:

  1. It does get chaotic not having deadlines sometimes, but I kind of take it day by day. I commend you for being organized =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to read on a schedule and love to schedule my posts in advnace. Like you said I find it more relaxing to know that I have something ready to go - especially if it becomes a week where my family life become chaotic. In November/December I was hardly posting at all because I just didn't have reading/blogging time. So for 2012 I'm working a little harder at staying organized so that blogging doesn't become stressful.

    I also make tours a priority and if I am agreed to post a review/feature on a particular date for a tour I will always do it - even if that means I have to stay up all night! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you - I like to have a schedule planned out. I prefer not to think of them as deadlines because that sounds so much scarier. When I don't have any type of schedule things definitely get chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to be better organized with my unread books. Digital galleys often get lost on my Kindle, and then I am even more stressed out when I find them again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely shut down with schedules. I have no idea why. For me I have less chaos with chaos lol
    I feel like I would be a better blogger/person if I could schedule everything but I just can't.
    If it's a tour or something though I have it marked down in my planner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree schedules are important with being a mom. I'm not rigid with them, but they help remind me who has to be where. Otherwise I'm too scatterbrained to remember. I love google calendar. I posted my blogging calendar on my response to this, but I also have a book release calender, a calendar for my kids, one for my hubby, and then one for me. I love love how I can show them all together in one place or just the ones I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes i work well under pressure so yeah sometimes a lot of something scheduled at one time works for me but now all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm bad with deadlines these days so I don't accept many books for review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Juju, I only request books from netgalley. and I'm so behind lol! What has me wondering...is do pubs see that? I know we not indebted to pubs when they send us books but do they see us as an unreliable when we dont get to review the books they send?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome topic! I love it. I'm horrible with deadlines. I'm a last minute person. So if I need something done on Tuesday, I'll have it done by Thursday. LoL


    bookluvrmindy
    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good deadlines for reviewing and blogging.
    Also I like that you read the Book of Mormon. So are you a church member? We come from Taiwan and speak Chinese. My wife and I will visit California. Do you have any suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tend to do the same with tours. I got tour requests and I read the books immediately so they couldn't stress me out (though I stressed that the author would be late in getting me their guest post).

    I try to work through my review books one by one, based on when I got them. That way, I feel I'm being fair. And if I can't read it, so be it. I'm not going to use up my life doing things I don't want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kitt: I heart deadlines and HAVE to have them, especially when managing so many ladies. Currently we try to schedule two months in advanced to keep it all organized!

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks