Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Books Books

As a child I would read anything that caught my eye. I would read during all my meals if I could.

I’ve been given the opportunity to read and review books which I’m so grateful for right now. I love that I’m not paying hardback price for my hobby. Which is also great for the pocketbook too. I agree that I love getting Advanced Readers Copies in paperback and not hardback. I'm getting quite the pile of books to donate to friends and family and to local library.


When I was in High school I would read young adult novels all the time. I read Sweet Valley High, Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Trixie Belden, and Christopher Pike…and many more authors.

When I was in College I started with the adult fiction and read way to many authors and in a wide variety of genre. I like the mysteries, chick lit, and fiction. But I did read adult books.

I did read the whole Harry Potter Series and that was when I had my first child. I finished the series when she was a baby. I just started rereading it again with my kids and by myself.

But my thinking has been – Are these young adult novels good for my child to read??

I got reintroduced to young adult section since reading The Twilight saga. I did reread these novels over many times…but it got back into young adult novels section with this series. I was glad to be back and see what was in my local library and offered from amazon.com .

My daughter is considered a tween. I have reading the books in her area because I want to know what topics are being covered and whether I would need to discuss the book with my daughter.

I have read some really good books like The Hunger Games/ Catching Fire to some books which seem to popular are not going to read in house . I have read topics from zombies, bulimia, vampires, suicide, loneliness, wanting to loved, being popular, finding love, dealing with divorce and many more topics.

In many of the young adult novels I have read it seems that the Parents are hardly around. The girl has to conquer the problem on her own and with few friends. She is independent and helps everyone in the house. She is loner at school and seems to attract the bad/good guy. Parents are clueless in the raising of their daughter. Parents are divorced or dead. The girl is able to either defeat the bad guy and be with the boy and have a happy ever after. I have noticed in some of the books there is some major public demonstration of affection or even sexual scenes.

I know that these are books…but I would love to see a real relationship with a mother/daughter in these books. This is what my daughter will be reading soon.

What are your thoughts on this?? Do you know what your kids are reading?

I guess this is rant about books in general in young adult section and parents are being dismissed from the story lines. I tend to think this part of the Twilight effect on books...parents are hardly around.

2 comments:

  1. You bring up an excellent point... I've really watched what I've read because I don't want my kids thinking it's okay to read sexy/trashy novels. If they're uplifting, have a good moral or leave you thinking on a deeper level - EXCELLENT!

    But this is all coming from a mom who limits tv and movies to G-rated. If we do a PG - my husband and I watch it first and if it passes muster, we'll watch it WITH the kids and explain things along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...but what I really want to know is how do you get a job reading and reviewing books? I'm just finishing my MEd in literacy, and LOVE to read. Am a stay-at-home mom to three and when asked what my dream job is, I always say, "I wish I could just read books and give my opinion about them for a living." So, could you tell me how you accomplished my dream? :)

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks