Monday, April 2, 2012

Spoilers in Reviews

Spoilers in reviews. Do you read them , do you include them? How to you (or avoid describing ) spoilery parts of a book.

I try not to do any spoilers in my reviews , but I love to read them. I know I like to be spoiled , but if its for a book that I have in my pile to read then , I won't read those reviews of books in my pile to read , so that I can be objective with other reviewers that are out there.

 I usually leave a out certain lines or scenes that are good to the story.

It tough not to give the whole story away , and have someone excited to read the book. Its very hard to do as a reviewer of some amazing books. My Diverent Review was a vlog because I couldn't contain how awesome it was to read and that it lived up to the hype.

I think that as being a book blogger I have gotten somewhat better as realizing what can be spoilery or not. But it always a fine line when trying to write the review and how much to tell the story or not, regarding how far someone has read the story.

An example with some friends we all read 10 chapters and then we emailed and discussed and all noticed something different while reading this book. We all finished before the time frame, but it was great to find out likes and dislikes with a character or family. We even discussed status, and magic .

Thanks Karen and Tiger for this topic

Finished Jane and Rochester 


6 comments:

  1. I try to avoid them at all possible when writing reviews. As for reading, if I read a review it's not until after I read the book so the point it moot. When I write the review if you can't get the information from the blurb or the first chapter I'll dance around it so as not to spoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate spoilers!!! I always try and avoid anything in my reviews that would ruin a surprise or plot twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's the main thing with spoilers: sometimes it's incredibly difficult to avoid them with books you love.

    I didn't think about that as well: that what you might not consider to be a spoiler may be in fact be one for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soooo anti spoiler. It really bugs me when bloggers give too much away. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I avoid them for the most part. If I feel like I can't write my review without mentioning them, then I make sure to include a disclaimer (usually in large, bold font) that clearly marks the beginning and the end of said spoiler. That way, people don't happen upon it without warning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only like reading reviews with spoilers after I've read the book myself. That way I can see if there was something I missed. I try never to write spoilers in mine, though it gets tough when you're four or five books into a series. There's a certain level of knowledge I think you have to have by that point, like who loves who and who is no longer around, but I still try to be vague.

    I'm more worried about spoiling things via Twitter when I gush. At least with reviews I have that extra bit of time to edit.

    I've been destroyed by the Goodreads synopsis more than once and it's always upset me. :(

    Great topic!

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks