Sunday, March 3, 2013

Umrembered Guest Post by Jessica Brody & Clue


Keeping the Mystery Alive by Jessica Brody

December 18, 2012
Dear United States Library of Congress,

I hate to bother you as I’m sure you’re very busy doing...well, whatever it is that you do (loaning library books to members of congress?), but I’d like to file an official request to change the description of my book in your database.

It has come to my attention that the one-sentence description printed on the copyright page of UNREMEMBERED and filed in your library records reveals the biggest spoiler of the entire book. Right there on the first page. As my book releases in less than three months, you can see how this might be distressing for me.

I apologize for not catching this sooner. I hope it can be resolved so I don’t end up in the hospital with heart failure.

Sincerely,
Jessica Brody
Residing in Stress City, Population 1.

##

Okay, so this isn’t an actual letter but the story is true enough. On December 18, 2012, I was just casually looking through the final proof pages of my book (LONG after they’d been approved) and suddenly my stomach sunk to the floor. I can still here the thunk it made when it hit.

There it was, spelled out for the world to see...the BIGGEST spoiler of the entire book, printed in the library of congress description on the copyright page. This is a reveal that doesn’t come until pretty much the last 20 pages of the story.

Needless to say, I freaked out. I emailed my editor immediately to tell her what I’d found, employing an excessive amount of panicked exclamation marks. In fact, I think they should invent an entirely new punctuation and call it the Panic Mark. In my mind, it would look something like this. (I would have preferred to add flames but this is the extent of my graphic design abilities)

panic mark.jpg
Fortunately my editor is incapable of freak outs (I suppose she leaves them all to me as I do them so well). She calmly told me she would see about getting it changed before the book went to print. I gnawed on my fingernails for hours waiting for her response. My mind was spinning with worst case scenarios. I could already see my tweet to the world, “Don’t worry, everyone. If you don’t have time to read UNREMEMBERED, simply read the copyright page. It’s explains everything!” All this effort I’d spent laying out a mystery within the pages of this book. All the hours of writing and crafting and carefully laying clues in strategic places to slowly reveal the truth. All the time I’d spent hinting these clues to the world via Facebook and Twitter and Blog posts. All of that...WASTED! I couldn’t bear the thought.

Thankfully for me (and my heart), it was caught in time and my editor was able to make the change. None of the books will be printed with that spoiler flashing from the first page like a beacon of destruction. I can’t adequately describe the relief I felt in that moment. But wow, was that a close one. WAY too close for my comfort.

Although I like to put little mysteries in all of my books, my background is in the contemporary genre. I know it well. I know what works, what doesn’t, how to plot, how to revise, how to emotionally develop a character. But writing a sci-fi suspense mystery with many spoilers (including the one MAJOR aforementioned spoiler) has been a new experience for me. And I have to say...it’s a stressful one!

Spoilers! It’s a word I’ve come to intensely dislike. And they’re only getting more common as social media continues to grow. My worst experience with a spoiler was when someone unknowingly divulged the end of the entire HARRY POTTER series to me. I was one book away from finishing the whole darn thing (and we all know what a time commitment a 7-book series can be!) Talk about wanting a memory erased! Memory Coders...start scrub-a-dubbing!

When I came up with the idea of writing a story about a girl who was found in the wreckage of a plane crash with no memories and a large portion of the book was devoted to figuring out who she is and what happened to her, I was excited! I was inspired by the idea. It sounded like the kind of book I would like to read. I never thought about what it might mean when it came to the near impossible task of keeping secrets from the world. I never imagined how many extra wrinkles I would acquire from all the cringing that goes on every time I read a new review and pray that it won’t giveaway everything.

This was not a challenge I anticipated at all. But it’s been a challenge, nonetheless. And it’s one I’ve had to quickly learn how to deal with. (Hint: Meditation and “zen” breathing helps. Wine doesn’t hurt either.)

In the end, we authors can’t control what people say or write about our books. We can’t hack into every blog post or Goodreads review that contains spoilers and erase them like little literary elves. We can’t eavesdrop on every conversation that goes on around water coolers (“Did you hear about that new book UNREMEMBERED? In the end, it turns out she...”) and then magically jump out of a supply closet to cover their mouths while we screech, “SHHHH! Don’t spoil it!!!”

As much as we may want to.


We just have to hope that people will read our books and more important, that they will like our books—regardless of what was or was not spoiled beforehand. That’s about as much as we can do. And when all else fails, there’s always the wine.




Thanks so much Jessica for being here and my review is coming up next with the giveaway . 

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting Unremembered this week and I'm really looking forward to it.

    That has got to be a scary moment for you. I have to admit though that I like spoilers - they don't bother me at all or ruin the book/movie/TV show. For a while I looked for them but now I'm in a non-spoiler phase of reading. I want to be surprised. lol

    No matter how I feel I NEVER include them in my reviews or spoil for anyone else.

    At least you caught everything in time to fix it.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks