Thursday, February 25, 2010

Firespell -- BWB Review



As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia's boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she'll have to face.


When Lily's Guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St.Sophia's . Lily's ultra rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she's hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate , scout, but even Scout's a little weird -- she keeps disappearing late at night and won't tell Lily where she's been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily find Scout running from a real monster( Goodreads.com )
I had read an adult novel by the same author previously. I did love her worlds that she does create for adults and teens.
I enjoyed the friendship of Lily and Scout. I could also see the relationships of love between Lily and Shepherd, and Scout and Michael. I liked Scout and Lesley as friends to Lily as navigates her 2 years at St. Sophia's school.
I enjoyed them working as a team and it reminded me of the Buffy gang or Scobby do Mysteries. This book has many 80's references like brat pack, mentioning of Reo Speed wagon. I did see Gilmore Girls and Sex and the City references. I kept wondering how old Scout was because the 80's references were odd, but liked her quirks and loved that she helped out in the community with the junior varsity and loved that there was variety of skills and people ...want to learn more about the team.
What I don't like is a girl being on her own at a boarding school and her parents are keeping secrets from her. I wanted to know more about the Parents and what they are doing , or there responsibility to Team.
I liked that Lily would do all that she could to save her friend whether she had any powers at all because that's friends do in times of need.
Book Review=4
BWB=4
I would let my daughter read this book if she wanted too.
This is my own book and my Honest review.
Questions: Lily & Jason-- what does the next book holds for them?? starting a new romantic relationship with dating/ and dealing with demons all the while being teenagers and going to school-- reminds me of Buffy Summers, curious if he bites her mmmmm
Lily & Scouts Friendship has a lot of secrets , so in the end who did you relate to lily or scout ?? What about Lesley or Veronica ? Would you hang out with the Brat pack or be the loner?? I think I tended to relate to Scout with her being so different in High School. But there are times I see myself wanting to be always studying like Lesley and helping my friends out  and studying , and there times I'm sure we all wanted to hang with the popular kids ...I know at times I did. I think I could relate to the girls because there was a part of me in the book.
What do you think of the overwhelming trend in YA lit , where the parents are either dead, shipping kids off to boarding schools? Do you think this is a real look at parents today and what teens are dealing with ?? As a Parent ..I don't like it, because if the parents don't know how to raise or deal with the children that they created or their short comings in raising them..sorta a pet peeve right with as many books doing this from Fallen, Twilight, etc. But as a teenager I can remember at times I thought my parents didn't understand me or my problems, and I can see why it Lit that stories do this. It creates drama and a teenager having to grow up, and face adult challenges.
Follow up parental question: Authors employ the missing parents to mature their teenage protagonist. The protagonist doesn't have the option to act as an irresponsible teen , because they do not have any parent supervision. Did you find Lily behavior normal for a teenager , or more mature ?? I actually found Lily to be more normal -- Granted she found out that she has a power..but she didn't whine too much which is refreshing. I also thought that the school was better on patrolling when students misbehaving or sent into the office. I think that knowing Lily family history and parents friendship with the Principal , she was chosen to live with Scout, Lesley, and Veronica. I actually enjoyed this writer and how she deals with characters. 

3 comments:

  1. I have been reading blog posts on this book, and it does sound like one I think I would enjoy as well. I am going to have to keep these thoughts in my mind too. Thanks for the great review, and glad to see you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to read and review! And rest assured--Lily's parents are very much in play. Stay tuned! :)

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the relationships in this book although not the lack of parents. Glad to hear they will be more involved in the future, but I don't like the missing parents trend in YA.

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks