Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Interview with Brenda Pandos & Emerald Talisman

1. Have you ever written anything before this book??

No. The Emerald Talisman is the first thing I’ve ever attempted writing and the project was very spontaneous. I’d just had a new baby (Summer 2008) and we’d received a devastating Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis for our oldest. This forced me to quit my job and stay home to take care and be available for his rigorous therapy schedule for his special needs, so I really needed something to think about and be excited for that was mine. The Emerald Talisman became that for me.

2. Is this the Scotts Valley in CA?? Wasn’t too sure with the amusement park???
Yes and I was referring to The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The Giant Dipper is my all time favorite roller coaster!

3. Does having kids affect the books your write??
Yes. I definitely want to write something that I feel comfortable sharing with them (in the future), plus my parents and friends. Giving quality fiction to young adults where good morals are upheld has become my passion. I’m appalled when YA novels romanticize destructive behavior and bad habits without consequences, especially if the writer has children. It’s truly an honor when I get the ‘mom’ stamp of approval when they want their pre-teens to read my novel.

4. Why Vampires and not werewolves?? Both are pretty hot right in the paranormal world or Urban Fantasy.
Before writing The Emerald Talisman, I wasn’t exposed to much werewolf lore, other than Teen Wolf and Harry Potter. I chose vampires because I wanted to write about sexy bad-boys with superpowers, totally inspired from Interview with a Vampire and Buffy.

5. Will we get to see more of Nick's family??
Yes. Actually, the sequel covers a ton about Nicholas and his past.

6. Why a necklace and not a bracelet???
I really don’t see Nicholas wearing a bracelet, so it was either a necklace or a ring. I wanted to avoid a powerful ring since that’s been hyped with LoTR.

7. How did she get her powers? Will that be revealed in another book, because how did she learn that she was an emotion reader?? Yes, how she got the power is revealed in the sequel along with some other nuances. As far as how she learned she was different, she became aware after her mom’s disappearance at age 5. Then, because of the trauma, she didn’t talk about it or her experience. By being silent and observant afterward, she learned that choosing to keep her gift a secret might be a better idea than bring extra attention to herself.

8. Will we be seeing more of the Cat?? Yes, Enigma has quite a huge presence in the next book.

Brenda & I meet at MOPS

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! I enjoyed your interview. I need to check out this book! Thanks!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie for the great interview. And I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book! :)

    Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks