Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cinderella ate my daughter Book Review

Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture
Cinderella ate my daughter is a catchy title , and I learned that I relate to this author on many things.

As a mom to 4 girls , I totally understand all the chapter titles. I also understand more about Disney princesses , and why girls like them. The girls want to special. My girls all are a princess --Ariel, Cinderella, Belle, and Aurora . They all relate to a different princess.

I also see the Disney Machine with my girls too. They like to watch the channel and sing the songs too. They also like Wizards and Phineas & Ferb and other shows. I will admit that I never bought a Bratz doll for my kids or anyone elses kids.

I agree that Wonder Woman -who is also a princess is another great super hero. I found myself agree with this author many times through out the book about Pageants, color PINK, barbie dolls, and Disney Princesses.

I have a question for the author. How do suggest we combat all the media influences on daughters ??? As a parent I do my part in knowing what they do on the computer, and TV shows.

Book Review= B+

Thanks to Harper for the book and this is my Honest Review

3 comments:

  1. As you know I live in FL and at Disney they have the Princess makeover salon and the girls get the full salon treament...hair/glitter/dresses/make up etc.
    On one hand I get it (& I know as a little girl I would have loved it) but it kind of breaks my heart to see girls go back to the days of worrying more about looks and finding a Prince after we fought so hard to have other images for girls. Not to mention the expense for a one day princess makeover! The full treatment is over $200!! I used to improvise for costumes. Use your imagination instead of having all the BEST things.
    Funny how boys never get caught up in these things.
    OK - I'm done ranting :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get that to. I have two little girls and it almost always difficult to keep them from being influenced by the media, I think it's best as a mom to instill the truth about the world at a young age. I have to make sure they know it's nice to believe in fairy tales & princes but this is how life really is!! And beauty always comes from within even without a princess makeover. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to take a look at this book! It sounds like it would be a good look at the media. I wonder if maybe we combat it by showing our girls different kinds of women, strong women, smart women, and women who can combine both the princess aspect yet still be strong and smart. I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks