Friday, January 28, 2011

The Secret Lives of Dresses Book review

The Secret Lives of Dresses
Dora is in love with a man who barely notices her, has a job she doesn't care about, and dresses entirely for comfort, not style. All a far cry from her vivid, eccentric childhood, growing up with her beloved grandmother Mimi.
However, when disaster strikes, Dora knows she has no choice but to return to her childhood home and take over running Mimi's vintage clothing ..(Goodreads.com)

I enjoyed this chick lit book. Dora didn't know what she wants to be when she grows through life , and not making any real choices with her life. Her motto is from the Movie of Say Anything. I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.


 When her grandmother Mimi falls ills, she comes home. While there she is running the vintage clothing store and learning more about her. There is family drama and a romance with Con. He is a contractor working on the penthouse above the store , and has heard about Dora from Mimi.  I loved the scenes with Con and communication between them. This seemed like a real romance , not a rushed relationship.

This book had shout outs to Princess Bride and Say Anything. But is dragged at times, and trying to keep track of all the family members because Maux and Gabby seemed like the same character at times. I did enjoy reading some of the story of the dresses.

Book Review=C

There is a reading guide with questions , and this book is already out . Thanks to Little brown for the book and this is my Honest Review.

2 comments:

  1. I have this book sitting on my nightstand, waiting to be read. Love the cover and love the general idea.
    Thanks for your honest review.

    BTW, don't know how long you've had the new blog design but I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks