Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Girls Like Us

Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls Are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself
At thirteen, Rachel Lloyd found herself caught up in a world of pain and abuse, struggling to survive as a child with no responsible adults to support her. Vulnerable yet tough, she eventually ended up a victim of commercial sexual exploitation. It took time and incredible resilience, but ?nally, with the help of a local church community, she broke free of her pimp and her past.


Three years later, Lloyd arrived in the United States to work with adult women in the sex industry and soon founded her own nonprofit—GEMS, Girls Educational and Mentoring Services—to meet the needs of other girls with her history. She also earned her GED and won full scholarships to college and a graduate program. Today Lloyd is executive director of GEMS in New York City and has turned it into one of the nation's most groundbreaking nonprofit organizations.(goodreads.com)

These types of books are eye opening to me. I learned alot from the stories of the young girls who have or living this life right now. I also enjoyed Rachel's story interwoven through the stories and how she slowly  began to heal herself , and become an advocate for these young girls.

It was interesting to learn when it starts for many of the girls , and how low their self esteem is because of a pimp /boyfriend.  I was amazed at how much violence, and alchol play apart for these girls. I know that she immigrated to New York , and I know that she is trying to raise the age of child trafficting laws.

These stories touched me and I understand this is a hard life , and was glad to read that many girls are growing and changing , and trying to make their lives better. I also its hard to leave the life when its all that they know.

GEMS

Book Review=B

Thanks to Harper for the book and this is my Honest Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks