Thursday, March 31, 2011

Interview with Gini Koch of the Alien Series

Touched by an Alien  Alien Tango  Alien in the Family
How long have you been writing for ??

A good dozen years by now. It started as a kind of hobby and ended up my passion.

If you were to describe your books in 6 words, what would they be ??
They’re the best books ever written! (Hey, it’s 6 words…LOL)
Accidental badass triumphs with alien hunk. (This 6 words thing is HARD. I want more words!)

Were you influenced by any movies for the Alien Series( Kitty Katt ) ??
I’m sure I was, because I really don’t believe that you can ignore all the things you’ve seen, done, read, watched, experienced, heard, etc. Specifically, though, no.

Do you have a favorite scene from either Touched by an Alien or Alien tango ??
Gosh, lots, honestly. My fave scenes tend to depend on what mood I’m in. And, if I don’t like a scene, you’ll never see it. So, all of them, I guess. :-D

Why aliens and not superheros ??
Why not? LOL Actually, because the characters told me they were aliens. I honestly didn’t know until that time. I’m that much of an extreme linear writer. And, I like the idea of a regular person being heroic, even though what they’re fighting is much more powerful than they are.

Do you have a cave to write in ??
I do! I call my home office The Cage. However, I’m a chaos writer -- I must have music blaring, and lots of other stuff going on in the background is great, too. I’m not much of a girl for silence, and I find it much harder to write when it’s quiet. (Needless to say, whenever folks suggest going to the library to work, I pass.) My office is right by the front door and the dining room, and we have a small house, so it’s also right by the kitchen and living room, too. Which is nice, because the hubs can watch a movie or a sporting event while I’m writing and I can look over and kibitz any time I want.


If you were stuck on desert island what 3 books would you bring ??
I know how to get around THIS one. The Complete Sherlock Holmes, the Complete works of O. Henry, and the complete, expanded Oxford English Dictionary. I’d have plenty of reading material and would be able to look words up when I was writing. Because of course I’d be writing.



Kitty likes music--Do you like the same music ??
Yes, and I actually like even more than she does. I can get by without a lot of things, but not music. I like something in every genre, from every era.

What’s on your nightstand ??
My large jewelry box, a backscratcher, a bottle of Dasani, a flashlight, the one corded phone possibly still in existence, and a set of old ear pops. Oh, and an old power bill, so I have the number in case the power goes out (in Phoenix in the summertime, that’s a constant risk). No, no books. I neither read nor write in bed.



Fan response to Kitty Katt Series ??
Well, um, if they’re fans, they like it, so I’d say that fan response has been great. LOL Fans seem to enjoy the humor, which is good, ‘cause the books are supposed to be funny. I’m really gratified that so many love Martini, because I really wasn’t sure if everyone would “get” him.

Honestly most fan response I get is, “When is the next book coming?” or “Write faster!” Or demands for clones of the characters, which I’m happy to provide.



Twitter or Facebook ??
I use both, but I prefer Twitter. By far. (And I loathe the latest changes Facebook’s made. Just sayin’.)

Must see TV for you ??
Is this really a question? Is there actually someone out there that might not know? Castle, #1. I also love White Collar and try never to miss it. Burn Notice, Psych, Covert Affairs, and NCIS are all favorites, but I don’t have to see them immediately if I have something more important to do, like writing. But my world comes to a screeching halt for Castle. I admit I love to watch some of those same shows too. USA girl here too.



What was your favorite moment for your wedding ? Did you Tango ??
LOL, no, my husband is not a dancer, though I did manage to get him onto the dance floor for a few songs during our reception. I think it’s required to say that my fave moment was when we kissed after the rings were on.

I heard that you saw Nathan Fillion at Comic Con. How was that experience ? Is as drool worthy as he looks ??
He is MORE drool worthy in person. He’s also extremely funny, extremely cool, and extremely geek. Yes, I love him. The hubs loves him, he’s THAT much of a Geek God. (Hey, Entertainment Weekly agrees with me, he’s on the cover. As the Geek God.) The Castle panel was the highlight of Comic-Con for me, and considering my first panel as a published author was also at Comic-Con last year, that’s saying a lot. I’m going to Comic-Con again this year and I’m hoping the Castle gang will be back again, too.



Thanks for being here Gini, and it was such a pleasure to chat with you. Stay tuned for the review and giveaway of my other Alien in the Family book.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome interview! :) Love Nathan Fillion too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that you have no problem shouting to the rooftops that you love your own books!
    I do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview girls.
    Julie - I know how much you love this series. I MUST get to it soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessica - thanks! And who, really, doesn't love Nathan, when you get right down to it?

    @Amber - I think it's hard enough in the publishing world to NOT love your books. Loving your books gives you a sort of armor. (Plus, you know, they're mine, so I LURVE them. LOL)

    @Karen - thanks, and I do hope you give the series a try soon!

    ReplyDelete

Help me feed the Monkeys--We love comments

We are an award free zone. Thanks so much for all the previous awards, but I can't continue passing them on at this time. Thanks